Most of the online marketers out there would have heard of the name of the famous Chandler Bing. But if you are new to the world of online marketing and looking for an idol, then He is the guy for you. You might be wondering who this Chandler Bolt is, so let me tell you some facts about him. He dropped out college at the age of 21 in the year of 2013 as he wanted to embrace his talent and passion for online marketing. You might be wondering if he is rich or just another guy who wanted to drop his college, right. So, as per the figures, he made a million in 2015 and since then he is growing at an exponential rate. He worked from his home and slowly but gradually reached a platform that all of us hope to achieve.
Chandler Bing and his company, Self-Publishing School, are helping people like me and other online marketers to make a living through our love for writing. Unlike, old days when extroverts were the talk of the town because of their communication skills, with online marketing, even introverts can make their dream of creating a team and making a huge amount of money with the skills and talent a reality. As these days the requirement of connections is the same but there is no such thing as having an interaction will your clients face to face.
Any individual can make his or her name in this field and to say that online marketing is a one-stop solution to all your dreams isn’t overboard. So, if you too have a liking to make your dreams a reality and achieve some life-long dreams with the help of your writing and connection skills then this Online marketing guide will help your way throughout your journey.
In this article, we will cover a lot of things and even if you are a pro in the field, there is a great chance that you might learn a thing or two. So, stick with us till the very end and with that being said let’s just jump right into it.
What is Online/Digital Marketing?
Digital or online marketing is just like normal marketing but requires special skills and passion if one wants to make his or her name in the field. It is the advertisement in form of a variety of strategies where simple messages are passed on in a manner where the audience does not catch up the salesy tone but are influenced by the campaign.
To round it up in simple terms, all you need to know is that digital marketing is simply anything that you see on the internet, and by everything I mean everything.
What are the various aspects of Online Marketing?
Online marketing can be very fairly be divided into seven parts. All of these parts when combined together form the essence of online marketing and each one of them contribute in their own way too. So, let’s see what these seven aspects are:
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Search Engine Optimization is the trick online marketing ninjas do to make sure that the articles and the blogs reach the top spot on the search engine results. It is an important concept to grasp as the higher you rank; the more outlook you will get. In simple terms, SEO is the process where the optimization of the content is done in such a way that when a user searches for certain keywords on the search engines, they will find the articles better than others and will rank them on the top of the search results. This is a great way to enter in the Google Local 3-pack and Yahoo Local 7-Pack, where top 3 and 7 results are shown respectively.
Another important concept regarding SEO is the number of backlinks. The backlinks are a great way to get some outlook. There are two parts of the backlinks, one is On-Page SEO and the other is Off-Page SEO. So, let’s talk about them one by one.
- On-Page SEO: Google changes its algorithm every year and these changes count up to 600, so to make sure that you stay on top of the game, a regular on-page SEO check and update is mandatory. Although, it is not possible to change on so many terms taking care of some specific terms will help you to get over these changes easily. Some important aspects that will help you with these changes are Meta description and title tag. So, if you have a high CTR, it most probably indicates that your title tag and Meta description are up to the point. But, if that’s not the case then you now know where to put some efforts into. Some other aspects that you should take care of in the On-page search engine optimization are:
- Keyword research: There are two major kinds of keywords that most of us use in our online portals and these are Long-tail keywords and Head keywords. It’s a great topic of debate as which one is better than the other but a good keyword is which contains the perfect blend of both of these in it. Now, it is important to understand that what these two are used for.
So, the short tail keywords are more common and better for blogs that are freely responsive. While short tail keywords are better for WordPress themed articles. So, choose wisely and your posts will enjoy a better outlook.
- Webpage Loading speed: When anyone visits your web portal for the first time, speed is the factor that hits their mindset immediately. No one likes to surf a portal where the loading speed is average or bad. Also, several types of research have pointed out that all the top ranking sites are faster and load in seconds. Google craves on loading speed and so if your portal is well-optimized than the chances of making your way to the local pack are quite high. So. What you can do for this is to check for benchmarks with tools like Pagespeed Insights and Test My Site. This way if your page loading speed is low then you know what you need to get optimized.
- Crawl Errors: Errors like 404 or duplicate content are some problems that all of us face at some point in time. But the thing that makes their existence even worse is the fact that they can problems like Penalties, Bouncing of users, Negative impact on the rankings and slow speed of loading. 404 error affects your traffic a major hit. Suppose, your article got a feature in some other site, now if the article has a broken link then you are losing a great amount of traffic.
Similarly, Duplicate content or missing content errors result in penalties and sometimes even result in permanent engine bans. So, if you are suffering from a similar issue and want an easy and free solution for it then ‘Screaming Frog’ is the perfect tool for your needs.
- Page Optimization: Everything from URL to Meta descriptions, Page optimization is affected by it. This is why Page optimization is a crucial part of SEO. The best way to get the perfect results from this is by making sure that the internal links, as well as the small things like Meta tags and title on the search results, are as per the content of the article.
- Off-Page SEO: SEO referring to Off-Page is basically all the attention and referencing you get from things that are not related to your portal in any direct manner. This ultimately refers to the popularity you gain through getting featured in big and known articles. So, to make the Off-page SEO of your portal better, you can hop on to these ideas:
- Link Building: This one is a vital factor in the overall growth of an online marketer. Google has confirmed the fact that when it comes to ranking, links are the first thing their search engine’s algorithm looks out for. So, the more the number of links of your site are on other portals, the more traffic you will get on your site. Although, link building is a tough task good content and knowledge of keyword placement is all you would require for this.
- Social Sharing: This might not be a direct factor that affects the SEO strategy but it has a great effect on the overall picture. Sharing is the best possible way to gain an audience for your posts, not to mention it is completely free and all you need for this is a click. Tools like Buffer are great to schedule your posts and get off-page campaigns through platforms like LinkedIn.
- Search Engine Marketing (SEM)
To conclude it in a line, SEM is just a paid version of all the activities you perform in Search engine optimization. You would have seen these things on any search engine as they are the first of anything that shows up. The best way to find these on a result is to look for the icon saying ‘Ads’ over the title of the article. This method is used by big companies who have funds to spare in their online marketing campaigns. The search engines charge this portal as per the keywords which include factors like length, size and popularity of them.
The concept of Return on Investment is the essence of this campaign. Google AdWords is both rewarding and disappointing at the same time. There are people who make hundreds and thousands of dollars with an investment of several hundred dollars while there are some people who have lost the entire amount of the campaign before they even realized. So, it is better that you don’t waste your time in SEM if you are new to the field of Online marketing.
- Content Marketing
If you are looking for the cheapest method in the book of online marketing than trust me there is no better way than content marketing. It is the most subtle way to present a service without being too salesy. To round up things in the easiest words, content marketing is simply the presentation of relevant and interesting articles to your audience on a regular basis. If content marketing is done right, you can even make a monthly income that can be of up to 6 figures.
There are people such as Jon Marrow who are so good at this online marketing stuff that even after being a victim of paralysis, he makes more money in a month than most of us make in an entire year. So, if you are wondering about the concept of what content marketing is, then do not worry we have got you covered.
How is Content Marketing effective?
As per the report submitted by Google last year, Content is one of the top most essential factors that mark your entry into the local packs. So, the better the content, the more popularity you enjoy. Not to mention all the traffic you will gain once you get viral. Content is the ultimate tool to drive in more traffic on your portal if you do not have any sponsor or brand backing you up.
Content marketing is the key to increased traffic on your portal. Also, the 16+ content rule is a great way to get into the field. This rule simply states that if you post 16 plus articles every month, the chances of getting massive traffic and better leads increase exponentially. But all and all, the best part about content marketing is that the Return on its investment is astounding. Sure, it takes time to get into the top results but once you reach that spot, there is nothing that can hold you back.
Different types of Content Marketing
Content can be anything from videos to writing and even podcasts. It comes in a variety of formats, not to mention styles and tones. Things like books and viral campaigns top the list of effectiveness while blogs and comments are not that much effective but the cost of these vary a lot which makes things even. The thing is that not everyone is good at making all kinds of content and so is the factor of relevancy. Suppose, you run a business of jewellery and fake accessories, now in this scenario, blogs will be the last thing that you will be choosing to market your product with.
- Customer’s interest mapping: Now the last thing that you should know about the content marketing is how you can map the interest of your customers. The interest of the customers moves in the pattern of awareness which is simplified by the results or local suggestions. Second is a consideration, where the customer or reader choose to go through the content. Now, the third and the last stage is the stage of decision making, where the customers set his mind on the purchase of an article. So, to make your content marketing effective, you need to analyze the strong and weak points of your marketing. Once you get to the root of the problem, all you need to do is to give it some time and effort.
- Social Media Marketing: Marketing through social media is the penultimate choice with which you can make your name and work gain popularity like nothing other. The industry of social media marketing is growing with every passing day and there is nothing stopping it for the foreseeable future. While there are a number of platforms which you can choose to start a career in social media marketing, YouTube tops the list in every possible aspect. It is the best and cheapest way to make money for someone who have three things in their grasp, that are, Passion, Skills and Ideas.
To become successful through social media marketing you should understand the essence of the relationship between context and content. Content is the base of any good marketing trick but context tops everything. Suppose, there is a video about some very relevant context but the content it has is above average meanwhile there is another video which does not has a relevant context but its content is impeccable. Here, the chances of the former becoming viral are much higher than the later one.
Also, there is the Omni-present need of choosing a context which is relevant to the platform. No one will go to Vine or TIk-Tok to search for a content that relates to the field of education.
How to choose your Platform according to your skills?
As I explained in the last paragraph, relevancy of the context and content is important. There is a similar agenda that follow the choice companies make to choose the platform for the promotion of their services.
Companies that are related to app development address to platforms like YouTube and Facebook to get their ads on a variety of content. Whereas, companies that deal in the niche of jewellery and fashion accessories head their way into platforms such as Instagram and Snapchat.
- Paid Social-Advertising
Just like Search Engines, Social media platforms work the same way. You can use sponsors to earn some revenue by making content that promotes their services. Sponsor posts and custom posts are the best way to make a lot of money through your talent for content creation. There is a great chance that you already know many popular content creators that promote sponsors’ services by the way of their content. If you are a YouTube Binge watcher then you most probably would have heard about PewDiePie and Ryan ToysReview. These channels earn in millions every annum through Paid Social-Advertising.
So, if you are a creator already then all you need to do is to contact agencies that offer ad revenue. AdSense is the biggest prospect in this field so it is worth checking.
- Pay-per-Click Advertising
PPC or Pay-per-click advertising is as simple to understand as it can get. It works in a way where the number of click ads gets on your post represents the amount of revenue you will earn. It is quite simple and there are several companies that offer PPC ads without any hassle. But the best part about choosing this method of earning revenue is that most of the popular platforms support in openly. Platforms like YouTube, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram also agrees with the policies of PPC.
These ads are quite easy to make as all you have to do is to create an ad-post that looks like a status update. Once, you make up the advertisement, choose the time and audience you want to target upon. This means that choose the age group that is most relevant to the service you are promoting and choose the time when the average person of that specific age group usually uses social media.
Suppose, you are selling protein shakes and energy drinks, then the target age that you will be choosing will range from 16 to 30 and the time of the status update will range between evenings to late night. These PPCs integrates with the flow of the platform and your audience will interact with these ads without knowing that it is an Advertisement.
- Affiliate and E-mail marketing
Affiliate and E-mail marketing are the last part of Online marketing and trust me they are best out of all the above mentioned. You will believe this statement once you read their working pattern.
How does Affiliate marketing?
To wrap things in the easiest manner, affiliate marketing is just the professional alternative to earn from the commission. In affiliate marketing, all you have to do is to refer links to your audience and whenever someone uses your link to make a purchase from your sponsors, you will gain commission. The best example of this type of revenue generation is Amazon’s Affiliate marketing program. In this program, Amazon makes a link for the user and this link can be used by the user through the method of blogs or referrals. Now, every time someone uses your link and makes a purchase of the product on Amazon you will earn a small amount of commission. This way if even 30% of your audience makes a purchase, you are good to go.
- What is E-mail Marketing and how is it profitable?
As the name states, E-mail marketing is done through the method of e-mails. This method offers you the power to interact with your audience without any middlemen or electronic algorithm. It is based upon two parts and that is, namely, Personalization and Segmentation.
Personalization factor is all about how you can make the customer get the product without being salesy and over-persuasive. Whereas, segmentation factor means that whenever you choose an age group to interact, you should make sure that the product or service you are offering is directly related to their usage. This means that whenever your emails hit the customers, most of them will find it relevant and you will gain revenue quite effectively.
So, these were all the aspects that accumulate to make the term online Marketing. It is an area which is quite new compared to other overly crowded fields. Here, neither you have any burden of the deadline and nor you have the fear of getting fired because of your own period.
Online marketing is a fit for anyone as it has something in its box that you will be good at. So, without any hesitation, make your move wholeheartedly and live all the dreams you have in your mind by making a ton of money. The chances of getting successful are quite high as you are hustling for yourself and not for the sake of any corporation.
So, guys, that’s it for today. Share your opinion about the topic and I would interact with you as soon as I can until they have a great day. Kudos!